Saturday, April 17, 2010

Clothesline

My fundraising efforts for Development and Peace have begun. The first goal is to reach at least $1200 to cover the costs of my Exposure Trip to the Philippines. The second plan is to not stop there. All funds raised above that mark will continue to go to Development and Peace's efforts for preferential options for the poor.

Fundraising Effort #1: The Clothesline Program of the Canadian Diabetes Association
Clothesline
A huge task but with a double outcome.
From this fundraising I will be giving individuals the opportunity to address two issues:
Issue 1
By donating their reusable clothing to the Clothesline Program they divert carbon waste that would have been created from clothing that would have been dumped in Canadian landfills.
Issue 2
In return for clothing, Clothesline donates $2 per 23lb(65L) bag of clothing to Development and Peace on my behalf. So individuals give more as they also ultimately support D&P's work to educate Canadians on social justice issues in the Global South.

So Thursday I put the wheels in motion, distributing 111 flyers to my community.


By the time I had even made it home for my distributing work-out I had also already received several responses from friends who will be donating their used clothing to me. It's a fantastic feeling when someone responds to a call that matters - an opportunity to learn while giving. Facebook messages and emails were my form of communication sent early that morning.
I have become their solution to disposing of their used clothing. A great alternative to a last resort that would have been a landfill.

And so begins the collection countdown. Can I do it? 600 bags to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment